Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Fall heard 'round the house

Well, Tom was on an overnight, so Payton and Bo were the only ones who heard. I guess every pregnant woman has some story, whether it be before or during labor. Hopefully this is it for me.
I fell. Hard. Down the stairs. I was just doing my usual morning routine when I rounded the middle-top of my stairs and up went my foot. Not sure how it happened, I don't quite remember slipping, but I must have, because my body fell hard on my back and down I went. Poor Payton was just looking at me in horror as she waited for me to tell her I was okay. I laid there for a moment to make sure I was okay and that labor hadn't started.

All is fine - DON'T PANIC! The baby is more than fine - that's what a uterus and sac is for! The baby has been moving just fine and I'm still have my BH contractions. But I can tell you that I feel like my tail bone got kicked with a steel-toed boot. It's hard to move around. That's about it. I bet there's nothing like watching a preggo fall down the stairs - actually Tom probably would've had a heart attack, and I was sad he wasn't there to comfort me. It did hurt, and I did cry, but I think it was more out of shock, then maybe pain. Now I wish it had induced labor, but no such luck.

However, starting today Tom has his vacation until after the baby comes! So he'll be home with me for the next feeeew weeks! I'm looking forward to that.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

I'm glad you are okay, but it was funny to read your tale, as like you said every pregnant womean has her story.

I fell too, probably around 34 weeks if I remember, so I didn't want it to jump start labor. Ironically, it was like the iceyest (yeah that's a word) day of the year outside and I fell in the house on the wet tile floor after a shower. We went to the clinic, becaus I panicked, and everyone kept asking if I fell on the ice, I felt like a total dork to say I fell on wet tile!

Can't wait to see those Ryan pictures. Best wishes - in our prayers as always!!! Now stay on your feet.

Love,
Mandi (& the IOWA Hillman crew)

Grammy Wass said...

Oh, my! So glad that you and Ryan are okay. Another tale - my Mom fell as she climbed through a window to answer the phone while pregnant with Uncle George. As she told the story, it was the office phone (my father was a doctor), she had locked herself out, and they needed all the patients they could get (he was just starting out), so that phone call was important. She did go into labor, but all was fine. He was a little over 6 lbs.
One more tale - a few wks ago a 4month preggo teacher fell on a piece of cardboard as she was packing up her classroom. She and baby are also fine. She felt the baby move at an assembly later that day, and breathed a sign of relief.
I think pregnant women are off- balance, as normally we are not carrying a basketball in the front.
Anyway, I'm sure Ryan is fine, and I hope your bumps and bruises heal quickly. Sounds like you took the brunt of the fall - the sacrifices Moms make for their children! Take care. XXXOOO

Brooklyn Marion

Brooklyn Marion
Born May 19, 2011

Ryan Thomas

Ryan Thomas
Born July 15, 2009